Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Could you please tell me if a service and repair is possible…

Customer Question
Could you please tell...

Could you please tell me if a service and repair is possible on a Elna "Club" sewing machine. I have been told no parts are now available for this machine. Judith Miller

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I recently took it to a sewing centre for a service and they told me that parts are no longer available. Compared with the "new" Elna's it is a much sturdier machine and made in Switzerland.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

I shall Just look up the book

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Sorry I cannot find the book but the machine would be between 25 - 30 years old. It is an Elna Club with a free arm. I am looking for someone who may service it for me.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My last message didn't seem to send. I wasn't having any specific problems with the Elna but as I was having my overlocker serviced I thought I would have them both done at the same time. The sewing centre where I took the machine just told me parts were no longer available for the Elna Club as it is between 25-30 years old. I don't know what parts were required. They also told me the Overlocker wasn't worth fixing (Brother).

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
11/24/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 8 months ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Old machines are worth keeping in running condition if at all readily possible, I understand that.

As for obtaining parts: 1. are parts needed? and 2. can you identify them by official part # and proper name? if so, you can basically do a good try at searching and finding the right replacement, somehow or other, with more effort if not with less.

But probably not by 'official' ways... not by contacting the manufacturer (Elna) and ordering parts.

Now, if you have the model # of the sewing machine, you can proceed to locate a service manual, often as not.

With the service manual (which has, usually, parts diagrams and a parts list, among other useful things for the needs of fixing a machine), you can identify the official part # of the part you need... and then search for it... and probably find it one way or another.

But this takes time, and some expense, too.

Tell me if you want to pursue this further, please - and also, what the sewing machine's model # is, and what's wrong with it.

Thank you for your reply. I have located an Elna technician who has worked on Elna machines for many years and worked in their factory in the 70’s. I am very hopeful he will be able to repair my machine for me. Judith Miller

I am glad to hear that there is some help for the machine. It sounds as if such a person with that experience, should be able to provide valuable help.

Do you need any further information from me? if not, would you be willing to close the case by rating my efforts, my work on your question, by using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer page? That would be appreciated, if you would. The page is here:

http://www.justanswer.com/small-appliance/atpbd-please-tell-service-repair-possible.html