Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I have a janome 1600QD that won't hold tension. It works for…

Customer Question
I have a janome...

I have a janome 1600QD that won't hold tension. It works for about 30 minutes and suddenly gets loose top and bottom..I let it rest for a while, do a tension test and adjust and can sew for another 30minutes. Tech says he can't find a problem. Of couse he doesn't run it for a long time.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Janome 1600 QD. 7 years old. Has had 20+ quilts made with it.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Since I can't convince a technician that it has a problem, it is up to me.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I clean the lint out regularly and change the needle evvery 5 bobbins.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
11/20/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Are you saying that BOTH the top and bobbin thread tensions are 'relaxing' at the same time ?
That is very peculiar indeed
There are certainly instances of the To tension unit needing to be replaced after considerable use, as the tension spring can loose it's 'spring' over time... like metal fatigue really
But to have both drop in and out is not one I have ever heard of
Is there anything else you can detail for me to try and isolate an issue ?

(FYI the replacement Top Tension cost is around the $50 AUD mark and, while not generally a stock item, will be available for special order from your Janome Dealer)

The "Expert" community at Just Answer are not on JA Staff, we are Technicians and Professionals from across the globe (I am in Australia), many have our own businesses to run, as well as spending time to help with Q&A on JA in our "spare" time. We advise and suggest, we do not have warehouse access to the companies, we generally do the repairs and callouts, this is just an online Help Desk really. We appreciate and rely on your honest positive ratings.

Unfortunately I am not able to phone you, as it is only supported for USA domestic calls, I am in Australia