Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I have a Janome Memory Craft 9900 sewing machine. The part…

Customer Question
I have a Janome...

I have a Janome Memory Craft 9900 sewing machine. The part on the embroidery arm that you lock the hoop into is, for some reason, appearing not attached at all. There is the motor running sound but its not moving? Not sure what happened but it seems like it's off the track or something.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's a Janome Memory Craft 9900--approximately 4-5 years old. It was working fine yesterday. Thanks

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's possible????

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
11/14/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Have you tried to power OFF and then ON to reset the embroidery mechanism ?

many times

OK, that is always first thing to do
Is the attachment mechanism clean and clear of lint etc ?

Was there any obstruction when last used and working OK... hit something on the table or similar to jam the movement ?
Is there any history that might be helpful, or just sudden ?
Unfortunately I am not able to phone you, as it is only supported for USA domestic calls, I am in Australia

Are you still with me ?

I'm here. Yes earlier today i didn't remove the hoop when it was switching to sewing mode and it seemed to keep going and wouldn't stop. It wasn't against anything but I did turn off to get it to stop. Maybe that screwed everything up??
Maybe it did jam something. It seems like it may be "off a track"

It is a delicate and complex mechanism with nylon gears to drive the x/y movement, still, that said, they do take a pounding, so ... let me think a moment

no its working fine

So have you detached and reattached the Emb Unit ?

but ill do it again
I've tried to attach a photo that may be helpful. The hoop thing has a metal piece sticking out the back that won't let it close because it's hitting that plastic switch that has something to do with the feed dog. I THINK that before this happened the hoop thing stopped inside the y arm. Maybe this is the part of the problem

Is that the release lever that is stopping the closure ?
You are right, it ought to sit snug

Maybe. I'm not really sure what that is. I've actually never seen it before (or paid attention to it)

The release lever ought to be tucked away so it will not interfere with the closing, so is this the release lever for the unit ?

Can you take the Emb Unit off and take a photo of that metal piece... looking at the Service Manual, it is hard to see what it might be...

the release lever that lets the y arm close is still tucked away where it's supposed to be. However, when I push on it to close the arm, the metal thing is out and hitting the thing that has something to do with the feed dog. BUT because it's not working right and I can actually move it up and down the arm, I can move it up to close it. Hope this makes some sense.

Photo of the metal part would let me see where it is coming from.... the Feed Dog switch is to Drop and Raise the feed for free motion and darning usually

I am going to have to leave in a minute, it is noon Tues here, and I must take my wife her lunch Eastern Australia is 19hrs ahead of Pacific I believe
It is probably getting late with you, but we can pick this up when convenient later

OK, I shall be back in around 30 mins

OK, I am back if you are there

Is there any movement in the metal tab at all ??

It only moves when I move the hoop thing

the hoop thing ??

will it retract fully ??

I am really getting to the point of unable to do any more from this distance ... I really would want to see it on the bench and get inside the armature to check it

I am loathe to ask you to open the Emb Unit as it can be easily damaged physically and with ungrounded static elecricity
If the carriage has somehow dissociated then it really needs a trained Tech with experience on this machine to look at it

I was afraid of that but I understand. Do you think they can fix it or should i just buy another one?
Thanks

Sorry, internet just disconnected for no reason...

I do not have a price for that Emb Arm part on our listings book...

I would want to look at it before I said replace it, so if you have a good local Tech from Janome, with the Service Manuals available... there is one for the machine another for the Emb Attachment... have them take a look for you

Electronics are covered by a 5 year Warranty, mechanicals, just 12 mths

Ok rhanks

Sorry that I could not get to the fix... it is not always possible as you appreciate

If you found that I have been helpful, your positive rating would be appreciated