Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

My Singer Sewing made a loud groaning noise and froze. Now…

Customer Question
My Singer Sewing made...

My Singer Sewing made a loud groaning noise and froze. Now it will not catch the bobber thread and sticks, is there an easy fix I can do?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's a Singer Stylist Zig Zag Model 457, approximately 40+ years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It has only needed repaired once 20 years ago and has been working beautifully since.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
10/19/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Sewing Machines are like all machines, they really do better with a regular Service... every 2 years is a fair suggestion
There are so many possiblities for one that has been 20 years, and an exchange on here is likely to lead us down a long and winding road...
Are you able/willing to remove the top and base covers (unplug first !) and take a couple of photos ?
Is it jammed, does the handwheel feel stiff ?

Is there thread jammed in the Bobbin region ?
Are there pieces of broken gear teeth in the base ?

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger, it is to save you time, money and the threat of unwanted repercussions.

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively before you leave so that we can close the file as it is the only acknowledgement we receive for our time and experience.

Just a quick follow-up as I have not heard from you for a while.

Anything more to report ?

Please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

kingcobra80
kingcobra80
kingcobra80, Small Appliance Technician