Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

I have a Juki DLN-5410N and am unable to get the presser…

Hi there, I have...

Hi there, I have a Juki DLN-5410N and am unable to get the presser foot to lift using the manual lift. I am also not able to use the knee lift as I am missing a screw so i rely on the manual lift for all my sewing needs currently

Contractor's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Not that I can think of

10/19/2017
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Are you able to get in with a torch and see what is happening in the mechanism.... sometimes, the lift will disengage and it can be quite obvious, other times a breakage will leave the mechanism 'floppy'

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger, it is to save you time, money and the threat of unwanted repercussions.

Hi Martyn, yes I was able to open up the machine to have a look. When I turn the knob from the outside I can see the part inside move (I can turn it 360 degrees around either way) but it moves on its own and does not engage any other parts of the lifting mechanism with it

Hmmm
Can you take a photo ?
I am in Aust and need to go to pharmacy for my wife, so will be away for a while... maybe an hour

I am unfortunately no longer at my studio so am unable to access my machine until tomorrow evening at the earliest.
I'm not sure how the charging on this site works, will I be charged per day and/or per response?

All good

The Q&A is open until you close it and it is expected to need several exchanges, sometimes over many days
You pay when happy, not per reply
Given the time difference, we may not meet up again for 20 hrs, so as and when :)

Thanks for the information MartynI have attached some photos of the inside of the machine, as well as two documents I found online that have details about the inner workings of my machine. The 9kd27iqb document has diagrams of the inside of the machine and all the parts. The 10th page of this document has information about the hand lifter components.I hope this helps!Thanks,
Kate
IMG_0821.JPGIMG_0821.JPGIMG_0817.JPGIMG_0817.JPGIMG_0818.JPGIMG_0818.JPGIMG_0822.JPGIMG_0822.JPG
9kd27iqb.pdf
9kd27iqb.pdf
DLN-5410N-7 Engineer.pdf
DLN-541...pdf

Hi Kate

I cannot see anything obviously broken or missing... however, in the mechanism as you turn the arm to raise, it looks as though it is not connecting as it shoould... I suspect gummy old glue and lint may be the issue.

Methylated (Denatured) Spirit is great to get into this... (aka rubbing alcohol)
I have an old spray bottle formerly kitchen cleaner, that I use to really get in and soak the offender... and an old sock or similar to enwrap to slow evaporation
Best done in a well ventilated or outdoor area

May take several applications to get going

Looks to be all metal mechanism... I have seen other models with a plastic lever that just wears out after decades, and have cut replacements from plastic sheeting to resolve...

Let me know how it goes

II am in and out over the weekend with work and family

Just a quick follow-up as I have not heard from you for a while.

Anything more to report ?

Please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively before you leave so that we can close the file as it is the only acknowledgement we receive for our time and experience.

Hi Martyn,
Sorry for my late reply. I'm only at my studio 2 days per week so it's taken me a while to be able to work on the machine.
I tried the rubbing alcohol and it does seem to have loosened things up but the pieces within are still not connecting.I have fiddled with it a bit; and now have a better idea of what is not working. I have included photos of the mechanism that lifts the arm. The piece closest to the wall of the machine has a long hole in it that the other piece has a nub for but will not stay in.
There is also a round bit with a screw (third picture) that I can tighten or loosen, and position either closer to the wall of the machine or away from it.
I'm hoping you have more insight into how I could maneuver these to get myself a working lifter!Thanks,
Kate

Hi Kate

I have several machines awaiting attention in the workshop, so just a quick one

The disengagement is at the heart of this, and I am fairly sure that there is some form of 'gumming' of the mechanism

Alcohol will dissolve this and may need several applications to penetrate

It will help ident the mechanism if you can wedge a 'sling' of fabric beneath the presser foot and use that to gently lift the armature, watching the connections as you go... with the othe hand and perhaps a flat screwdriver shrouded in fabric to protect metal) prod the errant lever/s a little to and fro
Beyond this, I am really at a point here without having it on my bench
I shall be on and off for the rest of the day with a Janome 12000 that is misbehaving

Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd