Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

We have a #2277 Singer machine worked yesterday fine, today…

Customer Question
We have a #2277...

We have a #2277 Singer machine worked yesterday fine, today needle wont go up and down. do you have any advice or solution

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I quess, we live in the country

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What do we need to do to get machine running again

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
10/5/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 7 months ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Check that it is not in bobbin winding mode (obviously) which disables the needle motions.

Then, if it has a hand-wheel, turn that hand-wheel a little, see whether that moves the needle at all.

Then, if running the machine with a foot switch, listen as to whether pressing the foot switch makes the machine hum at all, esp. near or in the motor. And re-seat the foot switch cord, after turning Off and unplugging the machine, checking that the foot switch cord is OK and un-strained and un-broken at all points along its length.

(And if the machine moves the needle when you turn the hand-wheel, but no hum is heard when you press the foot-switch, you might have a defective foot-switch, and need to try blowing out the foot switch as much as possible, with an air compressor or similar air blast, to try to clean the switch contacts inside it, in case they are disabled by dust or dirt. If that does not get the foot switch working, a new foot switch would be needed.)

Let me know what you find out, and what is revealed by these tests. I will help you further as needed.

Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)