Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Bernini 550. The sewing machine needle seems frozen. It will…

Customer Question
Bernini 550. The sewing...

Bernini 550. The sewing machine needle seems frozen. It will only move with hand wheel. It was doing fine yesterday

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

About 4 years. Bernina 550 B. Quilters edition

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Unless it is some button I’ve unknowingly touched no

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I’ve turned it off and on several times, cleaned the areas I can get to and oiled the part in the bobbin and checked needle.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
10/4/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 10 months ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I presume that you have not switched your Bernini into some other mode, e.g. into bobbin winding mode.

When you turn the hand wheel, do the machine's workings seem to be sticky or reluctant to move?

When you press the foot switch to try to sew, is there any noise or sound, perhaps a faint humming?

No it is not reluctant to turn and no noise when I press on pedal

I suspect that the motor may have failed, especially if this problem was preceded by a fairly intensive usage of the machine in preceding days. Was that the case?

Also, when was the machine last lubricated routinely, please?

It has not been used extensively but often. I have it cleaned and tuned up every year.
About six months ago.

I'm glad to hear that... How old is the machine in total, measured from year of original purchase, please?

About 4 yearsAnd purchased new

Does anything in the machine react, when you press the foot pedal, in the least?

I haven't heard back from you, but I think, upon reflection, that this probably is a case of a defective foot pedal switch, or defective foot pedal cord perhaps also.

Blowing the foot pedal out with compressed air can help, if the foot pedal switch might be dirty or dusty. That's one thing to try.

And re-seating the foot switch cord in the machine, firmly, is another thing to try.

Also replacing the foot switch, esp. if it looks as if the cord has had some strain or bending on it anytime in the past, might cure the problem.

- Since I have not heard back from you, I am assuming that my answer was helpful and provided what you needed to help toward a solution.

If I have indeed answered your question, please rate my answer, using the five-star interface on your JustAnswer page. - A five-star rating would be appreciated. Thank you.

(If this didn't answer your question, if you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond, and I will help you further to a solution.)

Your answers were helpful but nothing worked. I took it to certified Bernina dealer and something under warranty had burned out. They are fixing it. Thank you.

I'm glad to hear that it is being repaired and the fault has been found. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.