Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I have a Necchi 554 in excellent condition, last use was a…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a Necchi...
Hi, I have a Necchi 554 in excellent condition, last use was a servicing. It has sat for a long time but everything appears well greased. Everything is working properly but I cannot rotate the rotate the design selecting knob at all and I did move the Lever on top back to the left. Thank you
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 6 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer

I am Martyn, here in Australia. The "Expert" community at Just Answer are not on JA Staff, we are Technicians and Professionals from across the globe, many with our own businesses to run, as well as spending time to help with Q&A on JA in our "spare" time. We appreciate and rely on your honest positive ratings.

Admin will address any broader concerns and questions about billing and site use, we are just here to assist with the Tech side and the specific Q&A

This is not uncommon after storage, however, having had it serviced prior is a little odd

• Are you able to remove the Top Cover to reveal the insides ?
  • It is possible that a drop of Machine oil and a short soak will be all that is needed here
  • Look for the internal portion of the Shaft leading from the Stitch Selector that is frozen
  • Gently rock it to see for any movement... anything ??
  • Where this shaft passes through, place a small drop of oil... and anywhere else where it looks to be passing through a "collar" leading to the main mechanism
  • Have a cup of tea for 10 mins
  • Come back and gently try again to see if there is any movement yet
  • Hairdryer at the ready
  • Blow the area with a moderate heat setting and waft around as you gently move the selector
  • It may take a few goes to unfreeze, so if it gives a small sign of improvement just leave it overnight and try again, same process

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively before you leave so that we can close the file as it is the only acknowledgement we receive for our time and experience.

Thank you, ***** ***** a little hatch door on the top of the machine but it is just ahead of the selector wheel so I can't access that spot. I will try and see if I can somehow remove the entire outer shell. Doubtful with all the knobs etc.

Hang on a sec, just getting an image to show you... back soon

Thanks! What type of oil do I use and what is the purpose of the hairdryer heat? Thank you. Jess

Hi Jess

Sewing Machine oil is good... NOT cooking oil !!!!
What oil do you have... even a little WD40 at a pinch, by not ideal for ongoing use

(must be evening with you, it's 3pm Weds here)

Heat will expand the metal and helps to ease the binding

Great thanks so much! Yes it's 10:00pm here. I will try everything you recommended. If I still run into problems can I write you again here? Jess

Absolutely, just reply to this message... but I may be asleep when you get u, so allow some time for reply

Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd