Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I need help with my sewing machine, it is a brand model 167.

I need help with my...
I need help with my sewing machine, it is a WHITE brand model 167. I cant get it to do a straight stitch any more. I've downloaded the original manual and tied it's instructions along with you tube user instructions but think it is a mechanical problem. Maybe something is stuck like the settings inside? It is a good old fashion machine with no digital parts. I'm hoping someone on here can walk me through checking the inside parts so I can sew a straight stitch again. It is hard to make a dress with zig zag only. :) thanks
9/18/2017
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Is it set on Straight, and just doing a very slight ZZ, almost not even a ZZ but just annoyingly not quite straight ??
​This can be caused by a worn rubber grommet on the stitch selector side beneath the Handwheel

Are you able to remove the R side panel and take a photo so I can see where to point you please

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger, it is to save you time, money and the threat of unwanted repercussions.

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

I will remove all covers tomorrow after work so I can show you what's in there. I just put them all back on after oiling her up. See the picture of the stitch selector? The knob is set to the left of the "M", that is according to the manual the straight stich add long add the zig zag width is set to zero on another knob. So strange. I know it does do a straight stich because I use to sew on this machine and it did just fine. It's been in storage about ten yrs. I know it's possible that I may need to take it in, but would like to give it a try to fix it myself. Thank you and I will get back with you soon. Respond when convenient for you, this is not an emergency by any means.
All my best and God bless,
Catherine
1505711458291532700472.jpg1505711...jpg150571159733379997061.jpg1505711...jpg15057116573851408102310.jpg1505711...jpg1505711690977-144474065.jpg1505711...jpg
Oh and another thing, when engaging the bobbin threader, the needle is not disabled.It still moves up and down so, I have had to wind the bobbin by hand. Any thoughts why this is happening?

The clutch issue is likely to be the Handwheel binding on the top shaft

Undo the handwheel and CAREFULLY remove the Silver small wheel, then lay out the other parts so you can replace them in the correct order and the correct way around

Gently pull off the main wheel and loosen the belt as you go.... it is this that will be stiff. apply a small qty of good oil to inside of the hole in the large wheel and replace on shaft... give it a spin to see it is free
Put it all back together and that ought to solve the Needle and Bobbin working together

Now back to the original Q
Remove the R side panel below the Handwheel to see the stich mechanism

Can you take a couple of photos in there... this is where the rubber grommet should be

If it is perished, it gives "slop" on the straight stitch
It is small, maybe 3 or 4mm (1/4") and attached to the lower section of the gears that do the stitch selection... I do not have a similar model in the workshop to send you a pic unfortunately

******** STOP PRESS ********

Just noticed that the dial is set to ZZ in the image sent ....

Try it on "M" as well as the Slide Selector on "M"

Your Top Tension ought to be around 4.... it seems to be on 0 ??

Actually, I put the tensioner on 4 and It gave me a beautiful stitch. A zig zag stitch but beautiful non the less. Thanks!

OK, I have been at the shop and Post run, so away a bit, sorry

I am now thinking the 2 settings are at "M" and tension at 4 ?? Correct ??
Althought tension is now good, small ZZ stil happening ??
If so then yes, R side cover off to check Selector mechanism... looking for a small rubber piece, like a tube around 2/3 of the way from top, in the mechanism as a spacer...

If it is not there, it may be in bits on the base plate, or worn away to nothing

Photo may help me

I have several machines in the workshop that I must attend to this afternoon (now 2pm Tues here)

Let me know and I'll get back as & when I can

Ok I'll try and get a better picture tomorrow. Thank you. Good night. It's 9:15 pm here. :)
the tensioner is at four and set to M. I did take a few pics with the right side cover off, check when you can if they are any good. Scroll up to a couple posts up and you should be able to see them.

I need an image of the R side, looking into the mechanism below the handwheel that leads from the Dial at the front... also with the top removed ...trace the linkages from the stitch selector to the cam stack

I'm looking for an anomoly

I hope get these pics. I tried taking a video of the knob that selects the stitch. It slips sometimes and fit it on video but it failed to send. Will try again tomorrow. Have a great day
1505886528685-296843935.jpg1505886...jpg1505886600212236317583.jpg1505886...jpg1505886657309-2125100525.jpg1505886...jpg1505886720702-842103748.jpg1505886...jpg

Hi again

I cannot see enough of the selector mechanism to direct you to a particular spot to look at.... frustrating for us both

It may be a simple matter of lubrication, as the ZZ is much more than I would expect from a failed grommet

I use a product called Inox Spray as it is a Marine grade penetration and lubrication

DO NOT use WD40 as it dries out... it is primarily for Water Displacement (hence WD... the 40th recipe worked)

Suggest you spray the entire top area, rock the handwheel back and forth for a little while, then leave for a few hours or overnight to do it's thing

Inox Video and Description

Store Locator

I am running out of ideas at this distance I am afraid... it may be time to consider a proper Service

Martyn Lloyd