Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

My sewing machine needle is hitting metal, what did I do…

Customer Question
My sewing machine needle...

My sewing machine needle is hitting metal, what did I do wrong? It started doing this after I tried threading the bobbin.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a singer Model no. 645 I have no Idea what the age is.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I will try.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
9/15/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer

I am Martyn, here in Australia. The "Expert" community at Just Answer are not on JA Staff, we are Technicians and Professionals from across the globe, many with our own businesses to run, as well as spending time to help with Q&A on JA in our "spare" time. We appreciate and rely on your honest positive ratings.

Admin will address any broader concerns and questions about billing and site use, we are just here to assist with the Tech side and the specific Q&A

Please be aware that not all things can be resolved at home or in the way we might hope, some may need closer inspection and intervention, others are simply not feasible or advised, so please do not shoot the messenger, it is to save you time, money and the threat of unwanted repercussions.

Can you please check needle is correctly inserted and fully UP in the holder,

Did you have a jam of thread or fabric recently ?

If you slowly turn the Handwheel and watch the bobbin/hook area, can you see where it is hitting ?

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

I checked the needle positions , did not have a thread or fabric jam. It seem to be hitting the edge of the bobbin case in the back. It seem to be the needle positioning , tried them all.
��

I am not able to phone as the service is US only and I am in Australia

Suggest you post a video of the Hook Race region
Did you see anything when you observed the slow hand turn cycle...
You DO have a new needle don't you ??