kingcobra80
kingcobra80, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years repairing various small appliances
32169475

We have a Elna CE20 embroidery machine. The card reader

Customer Question

We have a Elna CE20 embroidery machine. The card reader writer broke some time ago. Therefore we are unable to transfer new patterns from the computer to the machine. We need either a new reader/writer or an adapter for the machine with a usb port. Any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Several years. The machine has been idle because of this problem.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No work required. We can't find a reader/writer
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The embroidery format is jef
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 1 month ago.

Hi

Does this look like the Reader you need ?

It uses Compact Flash (CF), you can then use a USB to CF/SD reader from the computer to do the transfer

Let me know how you get on, and please get back to me if you have any other questions or concerns and I will try help you more.

It may take more than one exchange to get a fix, so please work with me, you are my eyes and ears here

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How does this thing work? Do I plug its into the usb port on the computer, put a blank card into it and transfer the design from the computer to the card for transfer to the ce20?

It is a card holder... the CF is inserted to adapt to the larger size to go in the Sewing Machine

It is very old tech, old laptops used to have a slot for removable cards years before USB... it was called PCMCIA.

Janome (who own Elna) used this for transfer of Embroidery designs and the expensive Cards that had the designs were this format... this adapter makes things portable

The USB reader is separate... most folk have one laying around, but they are cheap and widely avaailable