Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

I am handicapped and can use only one hand well. I have a

I am handicapped and can use only one hand well. I have a serger sewing machine and would like to know what assistive tools or techniques are available to help me successfully insert needles in my serger.
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Babylock Ovation, less than a year old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Tes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I've been sewing for decades and serging for about 15. I know how to insert needles with two hands, but not with one.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

There are some products out there that may help you. Have you tried any device that helps thread a needle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not have any problem threading needles. My problem is holding the needle up in place on the machine while not having another hand to use the special screw driver to turn the screw that will securely hold the needle in place for serging. I have ataxia on my left side due to a stroke almost two years ago. What I am looking for is a device that will hold the needle tightly in its slot so I can then use my right hand to screw the needle in place. Kris O

Ok, sorry about the delay in an answer. My wife recently took up sewing and she had a sewing bee last night so was waiting to have her ask the women in her sewing group if they knew of any devices.

They were not aware of any devices, but they did recommend calling this sewing machine repair company since the owner has a lot of experience and they thought the owner (Pavel) would have some ideas on what could work and where to order them from.

Woodland Sewing Machine Repair (Woodland, CA) -
Phone number(###) ###-####br />
They are open from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm today (California time)

Let me know if that helps.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for the info. I am disappointed that your response gives my problem back to me to solve. That is not at all what I hoped for when I contacted JustAnswer.
Kris O.

There are needle holders, like THIS, readily available... the trouble will be to tighten the clamp while the needle is held firmly in the correct position as you can appreciate

If you can use one of these holders, with your weak hand, then good to go, if not, you will likely need a friend

It may not be the total solution you had hoped for, but I do not know the extent of your restricted movement

If you can use one of these holders, with your weak hand, then good to go, if not, you will likely need a friend, there is no device to aid the clamping, or the need to do two things at once

It may not be the total solution you had hoped for, but I do not know the extent of your restricted movement, but I do understand the frustration, I am deaf

I had a sudden thought in the middle of the night.... a magnet

If you were to place a magnet on the Side of the Clamping block, it will hold the needle in place firmly enough to be then able to tighten the screw to secure the needle... a bit of a fiddle, but still makes it possible without having to call for reinforcements !

Would need to be removed before sewing of course

What do you think ??

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I will try the magnet. I'm not sure how it will turn out, but it's worth a try. Sorry to be disrupting your sleep! Yikes. This isn't more important than a good night's rest. Sleep well tonight.
Kris O.

Oh, don't worry, nothing disturbs my sleep !!
I do get inspirations at the oddest times and I count this as a good thing !
Just let me know as and when... it may be one to share

Experience: Owner/Partner at Bargain Box