Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

On my bernina 580 the needle will not center so I can

Customer Question
On my bernina 580...

On my bernina 580 the needle will not center so I can embroider

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

First time

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of right now

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
9/12/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I will have much advice to offer, but the first advice I will offer is somewhat basic, and will get on to more advanced advice. First: is the needle straight in its mounting bracket and clamp? and, Second: is the needle perhaps bent?

Check on those two points, by removing the needle, checking its straightness by sighting along it, and then re-mounting it, firmly, in the correct position in the needle mounting clamp.

Let me know how that goes, and I will advise you further. (I don't have the whole picture of the problem, so I cannot and should not try too hard to advise you, before I do. Cases vary a lot, you know.)

to both
I mean the needle is straight and not bent. And I put in a new

So how is the needle not centering, given that it is neither a bent needle nor a loose/ill-mounted needle? please describe what you see.

The needle is to the left of the center without being adjusted. I can move the needle 5 spaces to the right to get it to center to sew, but when I try to embroider it jumps back to the far left again.

It sound as if the needle mount needs its position adjusted (semi-)permanently.

Will you give me some minutes to research how to go about doing so? and, meanwhile, please tell me, you say you can move the needle 5 spaces to the right to get it to center... how exactly do you move the needle in that way, 5 spaces right?

With the needle positioning button. You would know that if you were familiar with any Bernina machine

I *thought* so but, since I'm not there to see, I had to ask... you could perhaps have pushed the needle to one side with your hands. My apologies if I seem too basic. But now to get to the advanced stuff...

OK... I advise you to try this instead: since you have a 580 model...

Touch the External Setup button

and select the Embroidery Setting option

and select the Calibrating Embroidery Hoop icon.

Then, press the green check-mark. If the needle does not auto-center, use the arrows to center it. When centered, press the green check-mark again... that setting for centering is saved.

Does this work? and answer your question completely?

The needle is not centered over the presser foot #26 foot to do this. It will break

So it isn't even centered over the presser foot? Then, please describe where the needle is, in relation to the presser foot? and, can the needle be raised, so as to clear the presser foot?

And also... [*sigh*] yes, this may seem too basic: Can you remove the presser foot for the centering adjustment of the needle, then put the presser foot back on?

That did not work. The needle is still to the left of the #26 presser foot embroidery hole.

So in sum: the needles is out of position, temporary repositioning cannot make it work properly, resetting the embroidery hoop in place and recalibrating hasn't been tried with any success, you cannot recalibrate owing to the presser foot, and you cannot remove the presser foot and recalibrate and put the presser foot back on afterward.

I think your machine will unfortunately need a trip to a service shop for this problem, which is evidently a serious one with the machine's internal workings.

Would you like listings for such service shops in your region? by zip code or town/city and state. Or would you like further help or ideas in other directions?

I did remove the presser foot and recalibrate. When I put it back on the needle is still to the left of the presser foot

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you use the needle centering procedure that I recommended? if so, then you will need to take the Bernina machine for servicing, I regret to say.

How old is it? and where (by zip code, or town/city and state) are you located, please?

Small Appliance Technician: Jon, Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Phone call session started