Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman
Experience:  Repairing electronic devices for 20+ years, including all aspects of their workings.
13568747

My sewing machine bottom thread look like mess, Kenmore 385

Customer Question

my sewing machine bottom thread look like mess
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Kenmore 385 16221300 10yrs old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: thread bunches up
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If the thread bunches up, and makes 'birds nests' under the fabric, then you might need to set the top thread tension a bit higher, one or two points on the top thread tension dial.

If that only causes more problems, or if the threads keep breaking, then set the top thread tension back down one or two points again, then set the bottom thread or bobbin thread tension a bit lower. (There is usually an adjustment screw in the bobbin case region, for that purpose.)

If this does not properly address the problem, let me know, and I will help and advise you further.