kingcobra80
kingcobra80, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years repairing various small appliances
32169475

I cannot get my new Janome 9400 to wind the bobbin without

Customer Question

I cannot get my new Janome 9400 to wind the bobbin without it being way too loose. I then have to cut it off the bobbin or manually unthread it. I have watched the video a million (almost) times. What am I doing wrong? Pam
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I just got it a week ago. Had trouble the first few times and then was successful and used up the whole bobbin. When I went to rewind - same loose tension again and had to cut off.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: you mean fix it? I have been sewing most of my life so feel pretty comfortable. I just dont know any trouble shooting since this is a new machine for me. I have had Berninas and Juki's. If I can fix it that would be great! Or at least give me some things to check.
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is the Janome Memory Craft 9400QCP. I just got it so assume 2016 or 2017
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 1 month ago.

There is really nothing complex about winding the bobbin on the 9400.

It passes thru the tensioner as with any other machine, to create the correct degree of 'tight' on the bobbin

Wondering if you have maybe missed something in the setup of the process...

If you are happy that you are doing it correctly, perhaps you could upload a short video so I can see what it all looks like ?
It would be almost without precedent to have the winder tension be at fault here, Janome QC is very thorough and issues with new machines are so rare as to be vanishingly unlikely... however, a call to arrange a meet up at the store where it was bought may be necessary to have any warranty issue resolved