Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I'm trying to get my daughter's old Babylock serger feed…

Customer Question
Hi - I'm trying...

Hi - I'm trying to get my daughter's old Babylock serger feed dogs to move. The arm that should move to produce feed dog action doesn't move. Can't adjust stitch length either. Is there something I can try?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the serger's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Model 5180. Bought in...1988 or so. Almost 30 years old. I think baby locks first!

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'd like to - daughter has no available service place, and I'm here visiting now.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Seems to work fine otherwise, makes stitches, sounds good - I think it has been well treated, but used a lot years ago. Unused for awhile now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
9/8/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 11 months ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Make sure the Differential lever is on 'N'. That might help.

It sounds, too, as if the arm that moves might be seized up by a trifle of corrosion or metal sticking together. So the first suggestion I have is, to apply oil and lubrication to the points where the manual for your serger model instructs, then remove the needles from the machine, wait 10 minutes, then to run the machine for about 5 minutes. This may loosen up the works and distribute the lubricant and oil through the works, hopefully loosening up the mechanism where the feed dogs should be being driven.

Let me know whether this advice helps at all... and also, where you are located, by zip code, in case I can find a servicing location near enough to take the machine to - it may need servicing/maintenance of a difficult type.