Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  Owner/Partner at Bargain Box
99457030

I have an old Janome Mylock 134D. When the 4 tension discs

Customer Question

Hi, I have an old Janome Mylock 134D. When the 4 tension discs are set at #3 the actual mechanical tensions vary from 56 grams to 140 grams. Can you tell me what these tensions should be please?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I noticed that the tension in the #1 tension disc was very tight. I was barely able to pull it through, so I made sure they were clean then tried again Same thing.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I used a digital trigger pull gauge to try them all.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, I am fitter and turner + gunsmith, but live remotely in Australia.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 2 months ago.

Hi

The Service Manual for the 134D does not provide tension info by grams unfortunately, however, there is a variation as you have discovered.... so, how do we do it ?
Easy solution is to use 4 threads of different colours and adjust by eye to balance the stitch... once all looks good.... this is the killer... pull off each knob and reset to 3

Yup, that's it

I have thought of the gram method, as some manufacturers do offer this option, however, the eye test works well.

Just back the tensions off a little and bring each together... the needle stitches first, then the loopers seems to work best for me, and the different colours make it a breeze to ident the offender/s