Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

My wife set microwave for 1hour turned it on with nothing in…

Customer Question
My wife set microwave...

My wife set microwave for 1hour turned it on with nothing in it. It overheated and is not working is there an internal fuse or is it not fixable

Contractor's Assistant: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

GE over the range about 5 to 6 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Appliance
8/3/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician replied 11 months ago
Martyn Lloyd
Martyn Lloyd, Small Appliance Technician

There is a very good chance that the damage will be in the wiring melting, magnetron damage and other heat factor problems behind the internal wall... 3 or 4 minutes can cause trouble... Ii am surprised it lasted an hour

I would be concerned for safety and fire risk... my advice is to spend a little more on a replacement with an overheat cutout

How do I know if this one had an overheat cutout a.not real sure how long it did run

If it cut out and was still working afterwards, it had a cutout sensor... if it is no longer working, having run, as you said, "for an hour", then it had no cutout to prevent the runaway overheating that microwaving air will do... everything in and near the inside of the box will be heating and eventually some thing/s will burn or fail depending where the weak link happened to be.