kingcobra80
kingcobra80, Small Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ years repairing various small appliances
32169475

I have an emarald 116 sewing machine that won't pick up the

Customer Question

hi! I have an emarald 116 sewing machine that won't pick up the bobbin thread so I can't start sewing. I've spent yesterday and this morning working with leather and haven't had issues before this.
JA: What's the sewing machine's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it's roughly 6 months old, and it's a Viking Emerald 116.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I do.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Martyn Lloyd replied 2 months ago.

If the Machine is only 6 mths old, it will be best to return to the dealer for a warranty assessment and repair.
If you try to open and fiddle around, then it WILL VOID the warranty, so just do not do it !

It would seem likely the timing has gone out while sewing the heavy fabric... the machine is not industrial and will have limitations. When trying to sew, the needle will move a little before the Hook, and if it continues to force it's way, the two will fall out of balance and the Hook simply misses the Needle and will never create a stitch

Timing is not difficult when we know what to do, however it takes knowledge and training to be certan... not a home fix for the uninitiated

You can see how the timing looks by removing the bobbin case and watch the needle as it descends to meet the hook... the needle eye needs to be below the tip of the hook as it passes in order to create a stitch

Let me know what you see