Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I have a NI-WL600 cordless iron that just quit working. It

Customer Question

I have a NI-WL600 cordless iron that just quit working. It is probably 3-4 years old. Is it worth fixing? The charging base is still getting power.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic Cordless Iron NI-WL600. Probably about 3-4 years old.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It just quit about 2 hours ago. Up until then, working just fine. I plugged in the base, put the iron on it, the green light came on and I hit the button 3 times to bring up the heat. It did heat up but the buttons died before I ever took it off the base. I checked the base plugged into different circuits and still no light (so not a breaker). I tested the contacts on the base and they are receiving juice. I had one die on me over a year ago and it was just the same. That one got tossed. I own a quilt store and sell these and I guess they have a reliability issue.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: It this the "wait forever" help place? I'm about to give up, throw away the iron and post about on Facebook!
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know - my original question was is this iron fixable and is it worth it.
Category: Small Appliance
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 months ago.
The cost of the iron does not justify trying to fix it
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 months ago.
You are familiar enough with it to eliminate user error . If You are confident with that its best to toss it.
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 months ago.
Three or four years with one of these is not bad .
Expert:  Machinc replied 2 months ago.
many modern conveniences have become disposable because Amount of use + cost of repair vs replacement cost usually always works out better to opt for replacement.