Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

I have a pfaff 2170 and an older laptop and I can not get it

Customer Question
Hi, I have a pfaff...
Hi, I have a pfaff 2170 and an older laptop and I can not get it to reconganize the 2144 cable for software. Why?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I orginally register my machine back in 2015 but did not have confidence in using the embrodier part of machine. I attempted to load info in my newer laptop over the Thanksgiving weekend. Could not uses with Windows 10, so I have been trying this week end to get it to work on my older laptop. I have gone online to pfaff website to get info, and it does not have my machine listed.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: my laptop is Vista, I am still able to get on line with it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still waiting on answer I know 10 min or less is your usual time, it has been much longer.
1/9/2017
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. It's a shame you had to wait so long for a response.

By the 2144 cable, I presume you mean a serial cable (for a really much-older or classic PC's 9-pin serial port) as shown in this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/252712872856?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

For that to work (using pre-USB-port technology in other words), you will need first to open a Command Prompt window on your old PC, and issue a command to configure the port to a certain speed etc., to serial port parameters that will work with that cable and your Pfaff machine on the other end of the cable.

How much older is the older laptop you are using? perhaps I have assumed it is pre-2002 or so, and am wrong. If I am wrong, you have a different sort of cable, perhaps USB (rectangular) at the computer end.

Let me know, and I will instruct you further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 2144 cable has a USB end for the computer and card ending for the sewing machine.

OK, understood. What Windows version is on your older laptop that you are using, please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Vista
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I am at work and do not always see my email to get back to you.

OK, good.

When you connect just the USB end of the cable, with the other end not plugged into the card in the Pfaff machine, the computer ought not to react.

But when you then plug the connector into the card, and wait a minute or two minutes, does the computer react, either making a 'USB device connected' noise, or showing anything on the screen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I had family issues and had to work today.
I get the message that Windows need to install driver software for Pfaff 2144 usb cable

OK. What Windows version is on your computer? Windows Vista? if so, is it the 32-bit type, or the 64-bit type?

(Check by going to

Start - Control Panel - System And Security - System

and reading off the System Type, either 32 or 64-bit.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
64-bit operating system.

OK.

Do you have a driver disc for Pfaff software? if so, put it into the computer's disc drive, and let it install the software (again, if you have already done this once in the past.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the cd for 3d file assist. Should I have cable in also?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have reinstalled

OK. Restart the computer. See if, once that is done, the connection works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It still ask to install software

Is the 3D File Assist CD from Pfaff?

Even if it is, it may not have the 'software' that the error message so generically requires.

It's late in the day here, but I will look for what might be the 'software' required. Expect another posting by tomorrow noon if not sooner (Eastern Time Zone time.) Thanks for your patience meanwhile.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you I will be at work and a meeting g until 7 pm

Try downloading and installing this dongle driver:

http://82.223.23.75/W/HASP/HASPUserSetup.exe

which (if that link looks wrong to you, etc.) can also be had from a link near the bottom of this Pfaff page:

http://www.premierplusembroidery.com/en/Support/Software-Help

(see the link for 'HASP Dongle Driver'.)

That might or might not help with the problem. It can't harm anything, and it might help. Let me know how it goes, please.

---------------------------------------------------

The '5D Software computer connection' is included in the 5D software, which should be donwloadable free through this page (though I have not tried the process):

https://www.vsmsoftware.net/DBv3/(S(n3gizesbojtm1rlp40xilfht))/User/Login.aspx?system=6D&language=EN&requested=MachComm

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try this evening and let you know if it works

OK. I hope the resources I offered will cure the situation. (If they don't, there's not much else, though, and you might have a defective card, or cable, perhaps ? but I hope what is wrong is simply a lack of the proper driver for the interface.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Russell I tried everything you suggest. I hope the Pfaff dealer can check the card.thanks for trying.

It sounds as if that's the right thing to try.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.