Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

I have a LG Tromm washing machine. It keeps giving a DE

Customer Question
error code. I have changed...
I have a LG Tromm washing machine. It keeps giving a DE error code. I have changed the door lock and main computer board,
I have tried to do only a spin but the lock just clicks and still DE.
I am out of money and my wife is going to kill me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2016
Small Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

• When the lock clicks, is it actually locking the door?

Okay, so the issue is that the return message from the lock is not getting back to the control. It has to be a wiring issue if the control and the lock are new. Any issues with the wiring or connectors when you installed those parts? Any wires pinched or bent hard?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have checked all the wiring and it seems ok. I am going to check the door again. It was giving a DE and the door was stuck locked before replacing the switch. give me one min.

Sure, thank you!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It locks then unlocks. It clicks 4 times, pauses, clicks 4 times then DE. It appears to lock and unlock.
One min on the model number.

Okay, so the control is sending the message fine to lock it, it just is not seeing the switch close to prove it has locked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
LG Tromm WM24RM

There are several characters missing. The tag is on the panel behind the door.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea which is what the old lock was doing before it stuck locked.
This is brand new just in today, it might be bad but I assume no.
Is there a way to test it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Poop sorry LG Tromm WM2487HRM

Sure, I will get you testing info. Do you have a meter to perform any electrical testing with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do have a multi meter

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok this may take some time. there is not enough room to test with the switch in. I will have to take it out and place it over the latch. Does it need voltage or are we just looking to make sure the switch is closing a contact when the door is closed?

The lock has to be engaged, so it will need to have a signal from the control to lock it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK i may have to wait until tomorrow to get a multimeter with longer cords

I can send the entire manual so you can go at your convenience, if you would like. It has to be sent in the secure screen, I sent that option.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am able to get the switch out and plugged in.
The switch makes noise like it want to lock but nothing moves.
I also see that two pieces have to move to simulate a lock,
I did that but still DE.
Do I want to meter the black and blue through this trying to lock cycle?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have ordered a new switch to be sure. It will be here Friday.

It sounds like the new lock is faulty.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in the switch you have a live,common,and neutral. Can i not jump the common to the live line to simulate the door being locked and see if it starts? Then I would know its the switch.

You should be able to measure between the blue and black to show continuity when the door is locked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it will not lock. I was just looking to trick it to do few loads of laundry until the switch comes.

I would not jump the switch in case something is shorted internally, you may damage the new board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry for the long delay. I had a problem getting a new switch.
It cam in but when you hit start it clicks twce, locks, the clicks twice again and says DE error,
It then unlocks. What do you suggest

It has to be an issue with the wiring then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have called every repair place near me and no one wants to work on a LG.
Is there a way I can bypass it to see if it is the switch.
Also someone online said it may have another issue with the drain pump?

I have not seen a drain pump cause trouble with the door lock error. I will place your question back to the list in case another may have some input.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
now the door is stuck locked
Small Appliance Technician: Michael, Small Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Michael
Michael, Small Appliance Technician

Hi, I am Tech Michael.

I don't believe the problem is the drain pump, as that error relates only to the door lock mech.

You may have a bad switch and if you are careful you can jump it to be sure the switch is ok. But I would not do it that way.

I would use a meter set on continuity for this test of the switch.

Also I would check each wire going to to the door switch all the way back to the main control board for continuity with your meter. Then you will know for sure what the problem is ;-)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great week!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can meters the wires but I am fairly sure the switch is good. I ordered a new one and it did not work. So I sent it back and got another from another company. And jumping the switch may be difficult as there are 4 wires and I am not sure which ones to jump.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We I get home tonight I will try to meter the wires to the board which was also replaced.

Sounds good, I 'll be here ;-)

Tech Mike

Michael
Michael
Michael, Small Appliance Technician