Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

Keurig machine not descaling properly. We use ONLY filtered

Customer Question
water and descale immediately when...
Keurig machine not descaling properly. We use ONLY filtered water and descale immediately when the descale light comes on. I turn off the auto power, as the instructions say, AND I turn the power button OFF mid-drip so the vinegar is caught in the tubes to sit there a couple of hours at a time. I have been through this procedure at least a dozen times over the past few days, alternating between pressing the "small cup" and "large cup" buttons except when only the "large cup" button lights up (which is frequently during this whole descale process). This happened last time but it FINALLY started flowing properly again; now it's only been about 3 weeks and the descale light is back on and not working right? Should I just give up on it or is there some other product to use besides white cider vinegar? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Appliance
4/17/2016
Small Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! You want to use just white distilled vinegar, cider vinegar has only about half the acidity of the regular white distilled vinegar. I would run a couple cycles of that through and see how the results are.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

My mistake; we ONLY have used distilled white vinegar, NOT cider vinegar. On about the 20th try and still not flowing properly.

There must be something inside that has is impeding flow. It is not likely calcium or other build up, it sounds like a mechanical issue. Is it leaking water underneath?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I ended up turning the unit upside down, and using an opened paper clip, I poked up in the 3 holes where the needle comes down from the unit. I then took the cup holder out of its pocket and ran water through and it worked fine. So even though nothing SEEMED to be coming out on the paper clip, it obviously dislodged something in there. Not using the cup holder allowed the water to flow more freely and lots of grounds came out in the first few cups. Once the water flowed clear, I put the cup holder back in and ran more clean water through. Now it's good again. I thought I would share with you for future reference.

I wonder what it was that plugged it up!? Nice work, though, thank you for the update! Nice job!
Kelly, Appliance Technician