Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

I'm replacing a garbage disposal with a new insinkerator

Customer Question
unit. I also have...
I'm replacing a garbage disposal with a new insinkerator unit. I also have a new power wire kit, but I don't which of the two black wires on the plug kit to connect to which wires (striped and white) on the disposal.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Appliance
3/2/2016
Small Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 1 year ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Since the disposal is AC voltage, it actually doesn't matter which wire connects to which wire. The power wires can be reversed.. That being said, if you look at the 2 black wires on the plug kit, one of the wires has ribs on it. That is the one supposed to connected to the white wire on the disposal. The other wire connects to the remaining wire. But again, it really doesn't matter, they can be reversed.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc