Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Singer sewing machine model 5500: I can't get the needle…

Customer Question
singer sewing machine model 5500...
singer sewing machine model 5500: I can't get the needle thread to catch the bobbin thread. the instructions say to "insert the bobbin into the case with 4" thread showing on the outside. pull the tread through the slit in the case and then underneath the flat tension spring. It will click when it is in the right place." I've done it all several times, but I never hear a click so I guess I don't know where the flat tension spring is. I've been trying for serval days - Help!!
thank you dale
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Appliance
1/27/2016
Small Appliance Technician: Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Electronics and Mechanical Repairman

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It's possible that you have a defective part in the machine. Something to do with the tension spring, perhaps.

Remove the bobbin. Can you photograph the space it fits into? if so, taking one or several such photos and posting them to me, attached to your Reply, might help a lot with telling what is wrong exactly. But my guess - if the machine is at least several years old - is that the tension spring is either broken, cracked, or out of position.