Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

I have a Singer Futura CE-250. While using the embroidery…

Customer Question
I have a Singer Futura...
I have a Singer Futura CE-250. While using the embroidery function, the machine started to beep nonstop and all the lights flash and the display showed "88". I would disconnect the embroidery unit, the beeping and flashing would stop, push the unit back in and I could continue to embroider. Now that I want to use it to sew. Whenever I turn it on, it beeps, flashes, and shows "88". It will not function at all. I have removed the top thread completely, thinking that was the problem, but I get the same result.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Appliance
1/25/2016
Small Appliance Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi Penny,

Error 88 indicates that the upper tension path is not threaded correctly.

Check that the transparent thread path located at the top of the machine is threaded correctly.

I even removed the thread completely and the machine beeped and flashed.

Hold thread in both hands and slip under transparent thread guide. While holding the thread securely, pull the thread towards you and then slip it back and forth like you were flossing. You should hear or feel two clicks as the thread slips past the thread guides.

If that doesn't work, check for any buildup of lint or dross that may be affecting the free movement of the machine.

If the thread is correctly fitted and tensioned correctly, and the machine is clean, then there is some other sensor fault and the machine will require a service.