Small Appliance

Small Appliance Repair Questions? Ask a Technician ASAP

Small Appliance

I sewed through my finger with my Singer Quantum Stylist 9960.

My finger is ok, but...
I sewed through my finger with my Singer Quantum Stylist 9960. My finger is ok, but now my machine won't sew, the needle won't change position, none of the settings work, the machine just beeps when I try to sew. I tried turning it off and unplugging it, but that didn't help. Did I wreck the computer system somehow?
11/5/2013
The Home Smithy, Handyman

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. OUCH!! No you probably just knocked it out of alignment. If the system does not see the needle position correctly it will shut down until it can be realigned and reset.

This is what happened when I tried to use my sisters new computer controlled singer machine when they first came out years back.. I didn't know that there was an automatic feed setting and it pulled my finger right through it. Broke the needle off in my finger. Fortunately in the flesh and not where it went through the tip of the bone. When I yanked my finger out of the machine it knocked something out up in the sewing head as I broke the needle off. Not sure exactly what but it cost me 30 bucks to have it realigned. Now days it is probably cheaper.

Have your local sew and vacuum shop look at it. Trying to do this without training only results in more damage most times.

Best, Smitty

FYI: if this was an older model w/o computer I could probably walk you through the repair.

So you think this is a mechanical problem as opposed to a computer problem? I was hoping I could somehow reset the computer, by pulling the plug or some other method.
It is a combination of both.
The machine gets its instructions from the computer and the computer "senses" where the needle is from inputs from the machine. If the inputs from the sensors do not coincide with the computers instructions it will shut down the machine to prevent damage from occurring until it can be aligned and then reset.
The Home Smithy, Handyman
Is there any way I can fix it myself?
Sue, if you have to ask that question I am afraid not. Even a regular non computerized machine requires training to repair.
One wrong adjustment and you put the upper carriage into the lower one and then things really get screwed up. Needles break or get jammed into the bobbin assembly, arms get bent, links get twisted, etc.
Best to take it to someone that knows how to do this. It is not a DIY fix.
Best, Smitty
Ok, thanks.
You are welcome, Sue. =)
If in the future you have an appliance or home improvement question please feel free to request me by name.
Just include 'for The Home Smithy' in the question.
Thank you.
Best, Smitty
The Home Smithy, Handyman