linda_us
linda_us, Master's Degree
Experience:  A tutor for Business, Finance, Accounts and other related topics.
19873544

Brent (New York Domicile) and Julie (Oregon Domicile) got

Customer Question

Brent (New York Domicile) and Julie (Oregon Domicile) got legally married in January 2019 while in the US Navy and in February 2019 were stationed in Japan. In April 2019, due to medical reasons, Julie was discharged during 2019 and moved back to Oregon while Brent continued working for the US Navy in Japan until December when he was discharged to go take care of his wife in Oregon so Brent's Residence became Oregon beginning Dec 1 2019.Brent's US Navy W-2 shows New York Wages (NY being his domicile before joining the Navy) and Julie's US Navy W-2 reports Oregon Wages (Oregon being her domicile before she joined the Navy).Do Brent and Julie file a joint Oregon Resident Income Tax Return?
Is Julie exempt from Oregon Income Tax on her US Navy Income because she was stationed in Japan?
Does Brent have to file a New York Resident Tax Return or New York Non-resident tax return ?
Does New York Exempt Brent from paying New York State Income Tax because he was stationed out of the country?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Single Problem
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 5 days ago.

Hello, my name is Greg. I was notified of your question but see it was posted a while ago. Are you still needing assistance on this question and, if so, what would be the deadline for a resource?

Also, do you have any documents you can attach for me to view to ensure I have a total overview of the question. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes. Still looking for help.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Have you filed any tax returns of military personnel stationed abroad?
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 2 day ago.

Thank for the reply. After looking through my resources I do not have what is required to assist on this one right now and will open back up for the other professionals to review.