Single Problem

Get Single Problem Homework Help from Experts

Are drapes for a rental an expense or is it amortized over 5…

Are drapes for a rental...
Are drapes for a rental an expense or is it amortized over 5 years?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/13/2018
F. Naz
F. Naz, B.Com

What is your deadline, thanks.

If you are asking tax treatment of drapes in rental property then any asset which has a life of more than 1 year will be amortized or depreciated

Please read the following as it will provide you more clear picture:-

Repairs and Improvements

Generally, an expense for repairing or maintaining your rental property may be deducted if you aren’t required to capitalize the expense.

Improvements.

You must capitalize any expense you pay to improve your rental property. An expense is for an improvement if it results in a betterment to your property, restores your property, or adapts your property to a new or different use. Table 1-1 shows examples of many improvements.

Betterments.

Expenses that may result in a betterment to your property include expenses for fixing a pre-existing defect or condition, enlarging or expanding your property, or increasing the capacity, strength, or quality of your property.

Restoration.

Expenses that may be for restoration include expenses for replacing a substantial structural part of your property, repairing damage to your property after you properly adjusted the basis of your property as a result of a casualty loss, or rebuilding your property to a like-new condition.

Reference :- https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3875201-can-i-deduct-expenses-of-linens-bedding-drapes-etc-on-a-vacation-home-rental-property

Reference :- https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527

Note:- If you found my service helpful then kindly accept or rate my answer as this is the way to get credits for my efforts, thanks.

F. Naz
F. Naz, B.Com
Thank you