Single Problem

Get Single Problem Homework Help from Experts

Single Problem

Using the Statement of Cash Flow for Xcel Energy, Xcel Energy

Inc. (XEL) -NYSE report the...
Using the Statement of Cash Flow for Xcel Energy, Xcel Energy Inc. (XEL) -NYSE report the cash flow ratios. Please report and discuss 3 years of ratios for the three ratios related to debt and dividends but only the current year’s cash flows per share. Show numerators and denominators for all ratios and then discuss their economic meaning. It is possible that your firm does not pay dividends (you will see dividends in the financing section of the Cash Flow Statement).

The cash flow per share ratio is particularly challenging since most of the numbers in the statements are in thousands or millions (look at the top of the statement for a note) while the # XXXXX shares outstanding only for the current year (in Yahoo.Finance, under your firm’s page, look in “Key Statistics” and you will find the # XXXXX shares in the right column down about halfway on the page). You only have to report ONE YEAR on the cash flow per share.
10/1/2013
Angela--Mod

Hello, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. Please let me know and I will assist further. Thank you!

Best,

Angela
I actually thought I sent the question to Dave, CPA he helped me on a similar question.
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant

I have been away for a bit. Thanks for requesting me. Can you clarify the actual ratios you need to show? It's not very clear in the question.

Regards Dave

Dave,

I'm looking for something similar to this, but for Xcel Energy.

The analysis of the Statement of Cash Flow for Starbucks Corporation:

Operating cash flows/current liabilities

2012: 1,750/2,210 = .79

2011: 1,612/2,076 = .78

2010: 1,705/1,779 = .96

The operating cash flows/current liabilities for Starbucks dropped in 2011, but increased slightly in 2012. The liquidity is worse than it was in 2010, but is showing improvement from 2011 to 2012. The ability to meet current maturities of debt is lower than it was in 2010, meaning that it would be more difficult to cover current liabilities with current cash flows today, than it would have been in 2010. The fact that it did increase from 2011 to 2012 shows that they are working to improve this position.

Operating cash flow/total debt

2012: 1,750/3,110 = .56

2011: 1,612/2,976 = .54

2010: 1,705/2,711 = .63

The operating cash flow/total debt showed a decrease from 2012 to 2011, but increased in 2012. This increase shows that Starbucks is in a better position to carry total debt than they were in 2011.

Operating cash flow per share

2012: 1,750,300,000/751,400,000 = $2.33

This number shows that the company is making good capital expenditure decisions and is able to pay out dividends.

Operating cash flow/cash dividends

2012: 1,750/513 = 3.41

2011: 1,612/390 = 4.13

2010: 1,705/171 = 9.97

The operating cash flow/cash dividends ratio has decreased over the last three years. Starbucks is paying out an increasing number of dividends, but is not increasing cash flow from operating activities at a similar pace. The biggest change in the operating activities occurred in the Changes in Inventory section. Starbucks has purchased an increasingly larger amount of inventory, which is directly affecting the Total Cash Flows from Operating Activities, which in turn is affecting this ratio negatively.

Starbucks Corporation. Balance statement for September 30, 2012, October 2, 2011 and October 3, 2010. Retrieved from http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SBUX+Balance+Sheet&annual

Thanks for the clarification. I will have something tomorrow. Regards Dave

It was a pleasure helping you. Let me know if you have any questions before you rate my answer. Regards Dave

https://app.box.com/s/4qte1sue5y2ef1fcrbtq

Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Dave CPA
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant