Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

I am being made redundant via a settlement agreement. I am a…

I am being made redundant...
I am being made redundant via a settlement agreement. I am a product designer. HR have told me to clean out the office in my last month. It’s fairly demoralising and not my role. Can I reasonably refuse?I am in Scotland.
3/26/2018
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Can you please explain what HR are asking you to clean exactly please?

Box up and list equipment.

Are they asking you box up and list company equipment that you have been using to do your work?

Any equipment in the office - yes I will have been using a lot of it.

OK thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. Whilst you are employed by the employer you can expect them to continue adhering to your contract of employment and any duties listed in it. If you have a formal job description then the employer should stick to it and not ask you to undertake tasks which are not listed in it. Whilst you may be asked to undertake reasonable duties on top of this, such as clearing out your own desk, you should not be asked to go further than that and clear out the whole office. That would likely make it an unreasonable request. You can therefore refuse to do this and ask them to stick to your contracted duties, or if they do not want you performing these - to place you on garden leave.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer