Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

My co-owner of a property in Scotland has never in 12 years…

my co-owner of a property...
my co-owner of a property in Scotland has never in 12 years paid anything towards the house be it mortgage, council tax, factor fees, indeed she emigrated immediately after securing this £200,000 loan from the bank.
i am wanting to sell the property and i believe she will refuse to sell it unless its within her terms.
can she simply refuse to sell it ad infinitum if she so desires ? or is there a legal course of action i can take to enable myself to sell it without her signature ?
1/17/2018
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

You can raise an action of division and sale of the property and the court would have to grant the application and the court would also divide the proceeds of sale between you. You can ask for an uneven division to reflect the contribution you have made.

if i was willing to accept for example £200, 000 to clear the mortgage would the co owner be obliged to accept that offer after the action of devision and sale has been raised

The court would supervise the marketing and sale of the property and a surveyor would be appointed to recommend to the court what offer to accept.

that sounds very costly who would be liable for the fees ?

It would be sought from the other party’s share.

JGM
JGM, Solicitor
thank you JGM