Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

My son has been charged with vandalism & domestic violence.

Customer Question
The ‘vandalism’ was that he...
My son has been charged with vandalism & domestic violence. The ‘vandalism’ was that he forced the door of his wife’s home open but he was actually living there. The alleged assault was that she attacked him once he was in and he restrained her by holding her back from him by the throat and told her that if she persisted in assaulting him he would hit her back. She has assaulted him many times in the past resulting in him having lumps on his head, black eyes, scratches etc. I phoned her once and asked her to stop treating him so violently her reply was that she had anger issues. My son doesn’t want me to be involved in this but I feel it is very one sided. His wife told me that she just phoned the police to give him a fright and didn’t want him charged. As there have been previous ‘dramas’ I am worried he might be sentenced. He always takes on the blame as she uses ‘you won’t get to see the kids unless you take the blame’. Is there anything I can do to help my son?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Scots Law
12/22/2017
Lawyer: JGM, Solicitor replied 7 months ago
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

Has he been given a date to appear in court or any police bail conditions? Have you given a statement to the police about the background?