Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

My tenants lease has expired with proper notices served i.e.

S33 notice, 2 months notice...
my tenants lease has expired with proper notices served i.e. S33 notice, 2 months notice etc
i have done everything humanly possible to contact my tenant but i believe from past experience he will break back into the property when it is unoccupied.
my question is he owes utilities thousands ofpounds and they wish to cut the supply once they gain entry.
so would it be beneficial for myself to take over the utilities and request they are cut off or notify the utility company when i am in possession of the property and telling them there is a distinct possibility the property will be re entered and leave it in their hands if they wish to disconnect them or not.
12/17/2017
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Has the tenant left the property?

i believe they have. i have sent numerous emails, recorded delivery letters etc with no response. i will be attending my property with the view to changing the locks as the next stage
i have been informed previously if the utilities are in my name i can do as i wish with them but i am worried about disconnecting them as if later if they outrageously state they never left the property it can be construed as harassment

Thanks for your question. If the property is empty you can treat the tenant as having left given that you have served the notices. That being the case you inform the utilities providers that the tenant has left and that you will be responsible from that date onwards. They should not disconnect the supply on that basis. You don’t want that as there could be reconnection charges as and when you get someone else for the property. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

I would prefer the supply to be disconnected even if there is a reconnection charge so should I allow them to disconnect my tenants account or take the account in my name and disconnect myself as the property will be empty for some time and I would prefer to have no electricity in the property during this time to prevent possible squatting of the property.

I doubt you can disconnect the tenant’s account so you would have to take it over and then have it disconnected.

JGM
JGM, Solicitor