Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

My son wants to live me and my family. I am in the middle of…

Customer Question
My son wants to...

My son wants to live me and my family. I am in the middle of a complicated divorce and can barely afford the legal expenses of solicitors and court costs. What options do I have open to me to help my son live with me. My son is 11 on march. Also his mother who he currently resides with is extremely un-co-operative.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Scotland (UK)

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Cant afford to as the money meter spins round at a rate of knots I can ill afford

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Scots Law
9/25/2017
Lawyer: JGM, Solicitor replied 10 months ago
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. If the mother is being uncooperative then you will have to raise proceedings for a residence order unless this is already contained within your existing divorce proceedings. The court would assign a child welfare hearing and speak to the parties, and the child sometimes, to ascertain what is in his best interests. However, there is no alternative. You will have to get a solicitor to deal with this for you. Legal aid is available in Scotland for child law cases. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Thank you for your reply. Can you possibly give me a rough estimate on cost? I will not qualify for legal aid and I can count on a very stubborn mother to my son. Surely it is more than just my solicitor representing me at a child welfare hearing. Would it incur large additional charges from my solicitor to argue the point?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.