JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

We have a small inn with bar, restaurant and three letting

Customer Question

We have a small inn with bar, restaurant and three letting bedrooms. We currently live in the house attached to the inn. Do I need someone on the premises at all times? We would like to sell the house and move to a house in the same village. We live in Scotland
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Having looked at this for you I can see no specific law which says you have to be on the premises when there are guests staying overnight. Obviously the restaurant and bar only have to be manned when they are open. However, I am quite sure that your insurers would not provide you with cover for use as an inn unless there is a member of staff on duty at all times that persons are staying on the premises. I would ask them and whatever they say will govern how you deal with this. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.