Scots Law

Scottish Law Questions? Ask a Scots Lawyer

Scots Law

I would like to get a Scottish passport or visa. I am hoping

Customer Question
I would like to get...
I would like to get a Scottish passport or visa. I am hoping to buy a residence in Scotland in 2018. I am a United States Citizen. I have a US passport but want to be able to stay in Scotland for longer than the 6 month duration. What forms do I fill out? I am retired, and able to live independently in Scotland without using any of their benefits. I have an income of over 25,000 dollars a year and can prove by bank statements. How do I go about this?
JA: What is your official status? Was any immigration paperwork filed with the government?
Customer: I have not filled any paperwork out with immigration yet. I did visit the visitors immigration office in Nairn Scotland , but they stated I had to do the paperwork from the US
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just wanting to know if I can get a passport or a visa, not sure which I need, and how to get dual citizenship.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Scots Law
7/26/2017
Lawyer: GSenmartin,
 replied 3 months ago
GSenmartin

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Great I am standing by
I prefer not to spend the extra money to talk but thanks
Lawyer: GSenmartin,
 replied 3 months ago

Sorry about the delay. I have to transfer the question to the Scots Law forum as your question ended up in the U.S. immigration law forum. No need to reply to me now because if you do, it could delay the transfer. Sorry about the inconvenience. It shouldn't take long to transfer.

ok No problem
Lawyer: JGM, Solicitor replied 3 months ago
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

Thanks for your question. My American colleague has kindly passed your question to me. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Can you tell me on what basis you might qualify for the right to reside in Scotland. Is there a family connection?

My family lived in Scotland until the late 1700's. I am sure there are relatives still in the Ayr area but we lost touch a few generations back. I would like to settle as a retired person with sufficient funds to live independently. I would not need any funds or benefits from the Scottish government. I have traveled in Scotland last sunner2016 for 3 months and this past January and February. I would like to purchase a home in 2018. I would like to settle somewhere around Nairn. I would like to be able to stay longer than the 6 months allowed at this time. If you could direct me in the right direction for forms to fill out that would be wonderful. Do you think a visa is possible?

I do not think you meet all the criteria.

If you are over 60 years old and have at least £25,000 Sterling income per year and a connection to the UK then you can apply for leave to remain.

To be given permission in this category you must be aged at least 60. You will need to have at least £25,000 each year available to you in the United Kingdom to live on, so that you do not need to apply for public funds. You must also show that you intend to make the UK your main home, although there is no restriction on keeping another home somewhere else.

Only people who can show a close connection with the UK will be accepted. There is no special rule about what this connection should be, so there may be a variety of options. You can't satisfy this in my view unless you can find some relatives over here.

If you enter as a person of independent means you will not be allowed to work here.

Applicants must have entry clearance for this category before they travel, and won't be allowed to apply to stay on if they have entered in some other category, but will have to leave to apply from overseas. When you are accepted you should be given five years to stay straight away, and will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (settlement) at the end of that time.

Your spouse or civil partner will be admitted to join you, if he or she has entry clearance. However your difficulty is that your income may be short and you have no connection with the UK.

I am 62 years of age and do meet the financial amounts you stated. I do plan on making Scotland my main home. Is there a way I can apply without having realities?
I am in the USA now and want to apply now. I won't be going back to Scotland until March 2018. I would love to have the clearance to stay then and plan on making only every other year visits to the US for about a month.

You will need the £25000 per annum not $25000 and have to demonstrate a current family connection with the UK. Can you do that?

I have over $25,000.00 per year but, no family connection currently living in Scotland. Is there any other way?

In my opinion, no.

May I still find out where I would apply? Just in case the government would accept me without realitives. Would a deposit or 200,000.00 change their minds in a Scottish bank? Or, when I am in Scotland where would I apply for a leave to stay longer than the 6 months?
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
JGM
JGM
JGM, Solicitor