Scots Law

Scottish Law Questions? Ask a Scots Lawyer

Scots Law

I recently remarried and I am working my way through

Customer Question
documents to change my name...
I recently remarried and I am working my way through documents to change my name . One such document is my driving licence, Withoutnunderstanding Iwnas surrendering y licence I sent it if a log wiht the application form and my marriage certificate, I listed cataracts and Fuch's dystrophy as medical conditions having NO idea about the Esterman test - a letter ordering my to take it arrived the same day as I had my first cataract operation. I then had a conversation with the Customer CARE at DVLA saying I had jus had theor and was due to have the other ey done on Nov 23rd, There seems to be no leniency fr someone in my unfortunate position. I must take the test and risk gaining it revoked. I have had a second letter today ordering me do do it. The best advic I have been given is ti surrender it voluntarily and reapply in three months - this seems to be overruling my Consultant Ophthalmologists opinion on when it is safe to drive. I hav read he can do the test and SWND the results plus a supporting lettertotheDVLA but this is no guarantee of success . What do you advice in my case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Scots Law
11/1/2016
Lawyer: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear the DVLA have revoked your licence but your surgeon says you are fine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, they have not evoked it yet.

Ok. If they try to you can appeal that decision.

It will then go before a Magistrates Court and your Consultant Ophthalmologists can give an opinion to say you are safe to drive.

But you do have a right to appeal which you should consider.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My problem is that when they asked me to do the eye test they did not know I woud be having cataract surgery within the four week grace period tonget test done

Indeed. But the Consultant Ophthalmologists can give evidence to say you are OK to drive.

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No decision has yet been made. I have been advised to s=withdraw my application which is in effect surrendering it.I can then reapply when ten weeks have passed during which time ithink they allow you to drive pending their decision. I just don't know what option to take

Ok - I would not surrender it, I certainly would consider applying in 10 weeks.

But dont surrender it.

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You see the problem arose because I did not know that applying to change one'sname meant surrendering the licence . Had I known Iwould have waited until my eyes had been dealt with .It is a no chocie situation :: if I sit the test next week (the latest I can do it) and fail they will revoke my licence. It is likely I will fail as it only two weeks since the op and I will notmhave new prescription glasses by then. They have taken no account of my new circumstances with this test. Ican ONLY sit it and risk failing and a revoke or surrender and reapply for,it. Technically it is currently surrendered - so I could chnage my name

I see, indeed its a difficult position to be in.

I would therefore re-apply once your eyes have settled down and you have new glasses

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My opthalmologist wills see me on Thursday and can even do the test but the DVLA may not accept it. nded tey were saying I could not drive anyway until I getthenew glasses. But even tht is no guarantee I would pass the test. Is there any legal redress that itwas not all clear when I sent ,Y licence off for its name change that I was surrendering it. Ithoughtitnwasthesame as a hanging ones address.

Yes of course. I would recommend you wait and then re-sit it when all has settled with the new glasses.

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's nota case of resist it -it's sit it now as they demand or surrender and reapply

I would sit now. Then you will fail, you can appeal and then get evidence from your Consultant Ophthalmologists.

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But they are clever, if I do not sit it and surrender , when I do reapply I get a sort of amnesty that means I v=can drive while they make a decision - whcichWILL still include the test. Is there no redress in law for misleading me about the name change process because I would never have done so ini hadknown the consequences
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would habe just kept my licence in my old name until all they eye work had been done and followed my Drs advice re driving.
I am sick with worry as I can see the licence disappearing for ever with me having no right to appeal as there are no grounds

Indeed. But you can appeal and your Consultant Ophthalmologists can give evidence.

Does that clarify?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see. So I shoul d surrender nd reapply and if it's revoked the opthalmologist can supply evidence to support me.
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor