Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

I dj and promote small events once a month as a side project…

Hi, I dj and promote small...
I dj and promote small events once a month as a side project In Scotland. Its not a job, more of a hobby that we do.For the last 7 years I have did it in partnership with a friend.
Over the last few years we lost £4646, mostly due to 1 event where the turnout was too low.
A computer was purchased for the events for me to switch to digital djing rather than vinyl
which cost approx £800 (my partner put this on his credit card) This has been retained by me.At that event the dj's and live acts still needed to be paid. My financial situation was not good at the time so my partner put in the money to make up shortfall.Since then we paid my partner back when we made a profit on the events brining it down to £3120.2 months ago my partner said that he didn't want to continue with the club and was leaving. He was happy for me to continue with 'Lets Go Back' event as I had originally set it up 16 years previous.
He would take the other event 'made in glasgow' and continue with this. (he is using it for events and a record label)At the final meeting I said I would continue to pay off the debt from events if they made money . (I have paid over to him £150 so far from 2 events I've done under Lets Go back)
However I assumed it was only half of the current £3100 debt but after speaking to him, he is insisting that all the debt gets paid from my side.Is this correct?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2016
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

That isn't likely to be correct. If the partnership finishes with a total capital deficit of £3100 and you were equal partners, then the debts are shared equally between the partners. I assume there is no written partnership agreement and in that case the Partnership Act 1890 applies. You can read that online and you will see that the debts have to shared equally. However, that doesn't just mean that you half the total deficit. You have to ascertain that the profit shares and any monetary drawings have been allocated correctly and that the capital accounts are properly apportioned. To do that you have to ascertain capital introduced and add profits or deduct losses, deduct drawings and end up with a capital account for each partner. That will show what each partner's individual interest in the partnership is. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Thanks,I take it this is the most relevant part of the act?44 Rule for distribution of assets on final settlement of accounts.
In settling accounts between the partners after a dissolution of partnership, the following rules shall, subject to any agreement, be observed:
(a)Losses, including losses and deficiencies of capital, shall be paid first out of profits, next out of capital, and lastly, if necessary, by the partners individually in the proportion in which they were entitled to share profits:What he is saying is that I am not personally liable but Lets Go back is, therefore the events should pay back the debt.This throws up issues in that,
1 -its not a company,
2 -it isn't guaranteed to make money, fact it may lose money. If it does, he has not liability to pay anything as he's left.
3 - In order to put on any event, I have to put in money personally now as its only me. The risk is on me not him. It seems unfair that by taking that risk then I have to pay when he has no riskFinally what happened with computed, should it be sold and put against debt or should I keep it or should a fee be agreed to pay over to him. (its now worth about £300)These would be my final questions I think, thanks .

Your respective business ventures now as individual traders are not relevant. The agreed termination date of the partnership is the date that everything crystallises, for example, if you kept the laptop then that would be a deduction from your capital account. Future engagements have nothing to do with the cessation of the partnership. You have to establish by preparing a cessation account what the apportionment of the deficit is and deal with it accordingly. I don't think the way your former partner is looking at this is correct.

JGM
JGM, Solicitor