Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

I currently am a joint owner of a property where my co

Customer Question
signatory left the country and...
i currently am a joint owner of a property where my co signatory left the country and fled to Australia without ever paying one pence towards the mortgage for the last 10 years. i would like her removed from the mortgage so i can decide what to do with the property myself. What would be involved in that and how simple/complex would the process be ?
Ps i have managed to trace her down before but i have no contact with her anymore.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Scots Law
2/19/2016
Lawyer: JGM, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

There is no process to remove someone from the title to a property in Scotland without that person signing a deed transferring his or her share of the property to the other party, with the consent of the mortgage company of course. If the person is not available or not willing to transfer the property then the only alternative is to apply to the court to have the property sold, with the court papers served on the other party by virtue of a "whereabouts unknown" warrant. In that event, half of the sale proceeds would usually have to be retained as the share due to the other party, unless you include an application to the court for the whole proceeds of sale on the basis that the other person would be unjustly enriched were the proceeds to be divided equally. The procedure is quite complex and will require you to instruct a solicitor experienced in property and litigation.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.