How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Scott Taylor Your Own Question
Scott Taylor
Scott Taylor, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 41
Experience:  18 years practice on the High Street and in the City of London
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Scott Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the minimum area required to be eligible county

Customer Question

What is the minimum area required to be eligible for a county parish holding number?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Scott Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I hope to be able to assist you today. Although you ask this question on the basis of Scots Law, the procedure and requirement for applying for a CPH is the same as in England & Wales.

The CPH Number is ***** method whereby the ownership and transfer of certain types of livestock is tracked. The provision of a CPH Number has no bearing on the size of the holding you occupy.

For example, a CPH Number would be required if you were the keeper of a single small house-pig, in just the same way as it would if you kept a full herd in agricultural premises. It is the keeping of the animal that requires you to have the CPH Number rather than the size of the smallholding.

A CPH Number is ***** if you are keeping the following animals -

  • cattle (including bison and buffalo)
  • deer
  • sheep
  • goats
  • pigs
  • poultry (but only of there are more than 50 birds)

You can contact the Rural Payments Agency on the following number and they can assist with providing a CPH Number - 03000 200 301

Alternatively the Scottish Rural Payments Service website provides full details on the procedure involved and contact details for your local office in Scotland -

I hope that this is of assistance.

Please do not forget to rate my reply so that I can close your question and receive my fee.

Kind regards