How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11150
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to sell my share in my parents house left 3 ways

Customer Question

I want to sell my share in my parents house left 3 ways equally in my father's will. My brother and sister want to keep it but offered to pay me �15,000 for my share with no explanation as to how they value the property at �45,000. The property is valued at �82,000 by the solicitors who are acting as probate. Recently the house next door in much poorer condition sold for �76,000. Basically they believe they can bully me into accepting that figure and have made me out to be the bad one exercising my right to sell my share of the property that I have no use for. My brother lives in Guildford and my sister lives in Greece. Neither of them live in the property although I suspect my sister will be quick to claim she is now living there in order to attempt to stall any process and claim rights that she perceives she might obtain by doing so. I now wish to have an order of sale. How do I do this? The property is located in Scotland and the local court is Dumfries.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You can raise an action for division and sale of the property in Dumfries Sheriff Court. You'll have to use different solicitors from those acting in the estate. You will not be able to run such an action yourself unless you are experienced in civil litigation. However if I were you I would offer to have the house valued by a valued agreed by all parties and they have to pay you a third of that value. Happy to discuss further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I were to start an action is this something you could help with? If so what would it cost me and if not is there anyone locally in the area you would recommend that is an expert? Regards, Doug
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately experts on JustAnswer can't take on cases personally. It's against the rules of the site. You should engage a litigation solicitor in the Dumfries area. You can use the find a solicitor tool at to find someone suitable.