How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11149
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Crofting. In short, i've inherited some croft land, have no

Customer Question

Customer: Crofting. In short, i've inherited some croft land, have no interest in working it and would like to sell it for as high a price as possible.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My late father left me some croft land. I am not a crofter and have no interest in agriculture. I would like to sell the land and as far as i can tell, it would have much more value if it was decrofted and sold as housing plots. But i dont know if this option open to me. There seems to be very little advice available for people like me who have crofts dropped into their lap.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. You are right that there are limits resources about Crofting Law in Scotland. The main resource is the website of the Crofting Commisson at There is a section on decrofting which is what you would have to do in order to use the land for housing. Two points in particular to note. You have an absolute right to decroft one house and a reasonable amount of garden ground on the croft. A decrofting application is made to the Scottish Land Court and you would also have to register a title in the Land a Register of Scotland. As regards ***** ***** of the ground you can apply to have this decrofted too but factors will be taken into account by the Crofting Commission which has to preserve the Crofting system generally. The procedure is that you would have to send the planning consent or reference to them with an application for decrofting. They will advertise the application and take a decision on whether it is reasonable to decroft the site. You will need help from a solicitor. Make sure that you contact the Law Society of Scotland for the name of one of the few of us that deal with Crofting matters. I hope that helps to get you started. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.