Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

I need to borrow around £500k, I reside (tenant) in England.

Customer Question
A wealthy American friend has...
A wealthy American friend has offered to help as follows
Loan over 3 years, interest 1.5% per annum
I have a house in Scotland (freehold , no mortgage)
In view of the size of the loan I would like to give my Scottish house as security.
We have drafted a simple loan agreement where my friend is the lender and I am the borrower. under English law.
My friend will be transferring funds from her us COMPANY not her personal account into my uk personal account.
Based on the above information do you foresee any problems with this loan? The security (how would you go about giving this one) ? Risks for borrower And lender?
Many thanks
Emmanuel
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Scots Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2016
Lawyer: JGM, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
JGM
JGM, Solicitor

There is no difficulty with the loan. A loan agreement can be an informal document and you can agree what system of law governs it. As far as the security over your house is concerned, the document has to be drawn up properly and in accordance with property law and registered in the Land Register by a solicitor. If that doesn't happen there is no valid security. Happy to discuss further.

Thank you.
Can the fact that the loan is between her and myself yet the money is being transferred from her usa business account be a problem down the line?
Many thanks
Emmanuel

No, I can't think why it would unless you have any specific concern?

am I right in saying that as the loan agreement is between her and myself it is binding in so far as us. But not binding in so far as her company is concerned. My point is should i ask for assurances that she has the authority to make this loan from her company account as worst case scenario could the company not turn around and say we never authorised this loan and as such any terms in our Loan agreement would be invalid ? Obviously this is all based on trust but one never knows in life!

If the loan agreement is between her and you, where the money comes from isn't your concern. That would be a matter between her and her company. Her company isn't loaning you the money.

I agree that on paper it is her but the money comes from her company. Worst case scenario, you are saying that the company would have no recourse against me? Could they not say, again worst case scenario, that The loan was not authorised and as such this money is now owed to them and must be repaid immediately ?

On paper is what is relevant. The loan agreement is between you and her.

worse case scenario, you are saying that the company has no recourse to me?

Yes, there is no contract between you and the company.

them sending the money constitutes what?

A transfer of funds.

Can they turn around and say they never authorised it ?

They can say what they like but that's nothing to do with the agreement you have with the individual. You have no contract with the company.

If you are concerned about this, refuse to accept the funds unless they are sent via her personal bank account. I don't think there's a problem but do that if you want peace of mind.

Registering the interest in the land registry would be the best way to secure the loan but would involve more legal costs. Is there a simpler option albeit not as 100%secure that i could offer the lender?

You could offer a personal bond but if I was the lender I would insist on a security. The cost is only about £400 plus VAT plus £60 to the Land Refister so it's not expensive when you consort the amount of the loan.

Personal bond? How could organise This? The registration, would my solicitor or the lender's do this?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.