JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I have the following problem. i have been renting my

Customer Question

I have the following problem. i have been renting my property to a family. Then I decided to sell my house having notified the family. After their visa expired, they decided to apply for asylum in the UK. Home Office sent them a letter that they cannot leave the property now. The house has been sold and a new buyer is a out to move in. What are my rights ?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Thank you for your question

have you served them with Notice to Quit?

Clare

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Their lease expired July 31 and they have not paid me since. The formal offer from the buyer was received on Sept 4th, deeds for the house were signed and witnessed on Sept 24th, and the moving date is Oct 9th.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does Asylum help (who is trying to find accommodation for the tenants) have the right to order them to stay in my property?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Which part of the Uk are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The house is in Glasgow, Scotland. I currently live in the USA
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Then I shall opt out and transfer the matter to the scots law section

Please be patient - my colleague is worth waiting for

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

I am a lawyer in Scotland and will help you with this. Can you tell me what the written lease says about what happens when the lease expired on 3 July. For example does it provide that the tenancy continues month to month or does it say nothing about this all? Secondly, how long was the initial tenancy for for in terms of the lease? Thirdly, is there a letting agent or have you been dealing with the lease and the tenancy yourself?