JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I plead guilty to possession of 2 grams of cocaine in Feb

Customer Question

i plead guilty to possession of 2 grams of cocaine in Feb 2012. I had no previous convictions of such like. I was called into court, attended, the judge deferred sentence for 6 months...on return to court 6 months later - after no other offences - he told me to go away, no fine, no sentence. I am now applying for agency work through Contract Scotland as a Civil Engineer and there is criminal convictions section: have you been convicted of any criminal offences which are not yet spent under the The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1976. My initial reaction is to tick NO for obvious reasons. will i have a conviction? and should i risk saying NO??
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You do have a conviction as you pled guilty. The sentence was that you were admonished and dismissed after a deferred period for you to demonstrate good behaviour. In terms of the legislation that conviction is not spent for five years so you do have to disclose it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. Will this now be spent under The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1976?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry didn't see the full answer until now, thanks
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome, don't forget to leave a positive rating so that I'm credited for my time.