JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

I had solar panels installed last October, I found pigeons

Customer Question

I had solar panels installed last October, I found pigeons nesting underneath & my window cleaner cleared the nest, he saw two loose wires, on contacting the company they came installed new inverter & reconnected the wires, it still was not working,they are now saying that as a "favour" they will remove the panel, sort the wires out, but if it happens again I will have to pay, I also had leak through my bedroom ceiling & my roofer said there were two slates moved completely & couple of cracked ones under the panel (he would not touch it) when the solar panel people came they moved slates back & siliconed them in place ( this damage can only have happened when they installed panels) I cannot afford to put deterrent up there, they are saying they have not heard of this happening before, can I expect them to help?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

If you have evidence that the installation wasn't carried out properly as a result that it doesn't work and there is damage to your property they have a legal obligation to get things sorted or pay you damages if they refuse to sort it and you have to pay someone else to do so. So they can't say that they are doing you a "favour" for fixing work that they should have done correctly in the first place. Happy to discuss further but you should be asserting yourself here and making sure they comply with the terms of the original contract which implies that they will carry out the work properly and not cause damage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I make sure I'm speaking to "as far up the ladder" as I can? Up to now I believe it's been the office staff who I've spoken to, would it be better to e-mail them ( I'm not very good at that) how do you convert your feeto pounds too please
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

You can go onto the Companies House website and find out who the director is. Alternatively I can probably do it quicker if you give me the name of the company. You don't have to convert anything. The site deals with all of that. All you have to do is leave a positive rating on the site and they do the rest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was sure it was Solar Tech North East, I rang to make sure & was told I could use their scaffolding tower to install pigeon guards, I explained I cannot afford the guards, & it seems to be a common problem with solar panels & they said to e-mail, explain & they would see if they could help, I would appreciate the name of director
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

The directors are ***** ***** of 19 Manor Place, Stockton on Tees, TS19 7HF and Christopher Snaith,***** Stockton on Tees, TS17 5LS according to the Registrar of Companies.

Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, Brantingham Drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much, I'll e-mail now, sorry didn't read last night, had to go out
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Don't forget to leave a positive rating on the system so that I am credited for my time.