How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11551
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are some very tall trees behind my house in Scotland,

Customer Question

Hello There are some very tall trees behind my house in Scotland, separated by a private road. They block a huge amount of light from the house and I wondered do I have any rights to ask the owner to reduce the height? There are some limbs coming over into my garden and I know I have the right to ask him to remove these. Thank you in advance...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.

I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this. The law in Scotland has changed so that you can now ask a neighbour to take action tall trees and hedges are blocking your light. If the neighbour refuses you can apply to the council for a high hedges order and the council can order the neighbour to take such steps as are necessary to alleviate the situation. See As far as overhanging branches are concerned you are entitled to remove these yourself. I hope this helps. Happy to discuss further.