JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Are some very tall trees behind my house in Scotland,

Customer Question

Hello There are some very tall trees behind my house in Scotland, separated by a private road. They block a huge amount of light from the house and I wondered do I have any rights to ask the owner to reduce the height? There are some limbs coming over into my garden and I know I have the right to ask him to remove these. Thank you in advance...
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.

I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this. The law in Scotland has changed so that you can now ask a neighbour to take action tall trees and hedges are blocking your light. If the neighbour refuses you can apply to the council for a high hedges order and the council can order the neighbour to take such steps as are necessary to alleviate the situation. See www.gov.scot/Topics/archive/law-order/17141/highhedges. As far as overhanging branches are concerned you are entitled to remove these yourself. I hope this helps. Happy to discuss further.