How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11286
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son managed to overlook a statutory fine road

Customer Question

Hi, my son managed to overlook a statutory fine for a road traffic offence and now has a court date - I'd like to write to the PF on his behalf explaining the circumstances and asking that the original fine be imposed in order to avoid wasting courts time. Would this be likely to succeed? Many Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. You can certainly try writing to the PF to sort this out. However, my experience is that once the default is made, they put it into the system and a court date cannot be withdrawn and the statutory fine reinstated. Your son can plead guilty by letter to the court which would avoid a court appearance but the matter will still be dealt with through the the court and the penalty will generally be higher as a result. I'm sorry about that but that is my experience.