How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11557
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sirs , We have a tenant who has moved out of the property

This answer was rated:

Dear Sirs ,

We have a tenant who has moved out of the property several weeks ago.(we think) She never informed that she was moving out . She entered into a 12 month short assured tenancy agreement and it started on the first of June this year.

The council was paying her rent and they have advised that they have paid to first of this month and thereafter stopped the payment.

We only learned of this on Friday night when we wee advised by a neighbor that the property was burgled. We called the police and they investigated . Out come was she had vacated the property without any notice .

The premises had no supply of gas or electricity; and her belongings and personal effects are littered through out .

We have already started to clear the exterior of the subjects ie weeds , litter , clear drains and cut grass etc.

We already have a tenant lined up for the property however , can not do anything until the belongings are removed .

We have written to her several times and finally received a response this morning. The response was that she requires a small van to move the items.

Please advise what our position is with her items which are of no value to us . ie photographs , clothes , bedding , crockery, toys etc .

We do have a guarantor form executed in place, alongside a deposit .
Thank you for your question.

If you are clear that she has abandoned the property then you can take possession. You should store her belongings for a reasonable period then dispose of them. You can deduct costs from the deposit, which should have been held in the deposit scheme, and claim any balance from the guarantor.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you